Reply to post: Re: Stupid?

Marmite's not the only national treasure hit by Brexit. Will someone think of the PCs?

H in The Hague

Re: Stupid?

"e) No rules used by government to justify buying Spanish tanks, more British tanks, …"

I presume you're too young to remember the cosy arrangements between the defence industry and the MoD before these contracts had to be tendered internationally. Perhaps it might be an idea to have a chat with an old financial geezer who can tell you about the benefits (for the manufacturer, not the tax payer) of cost plus contracts, etc. Going back to national procurement would increase costs, reduce quality and decrease pressure to innovate.

Also, if the UK doesn't buy kit from other countries, they won't buy kit from the UK. Talk like this, and the alleged ban on non-UK academics at the LSE advising the government on Brexit can really hurt exports. I've just been peripherally involved in a UK defence contractor's prequalification for a tender to be issued by another EU country. One of their local competitors could claim that if the UK government doesn't trust foreign nationals then it should also work the other way round and the UK contractor should not be permitted to bid on the contract (worth millions of pounds).

"tanks": why are tanks always given as an example? Seems a slightly unhealthy obsession. Why not incontinence supplies for the NHS: an invention of much greater benefit to mankind.

Have you ever done business internationally? Compared the ease of doing business within the EU with the hassle, in many cases, of doing business outside it? Inquiring mind wants to know.

I'm not attacking you - just asking questions. Sensible replies will make me more likely to respect you, even if I disagree with you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon