Reply to post: Rantastic, almost as good as my rants regarding ofcom, BT and pointless G.fast.

Apple’s macOS Sierra update really puts the fan into 'fanboi'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Rantastic, almost as good as my rants regarding ofcom, BT and pointless G.fast.

I think you've fallen for the Jony Ive/Apple line, that macbooks don't suffer like PC Laptops, from their fans getting blocked with crud.

Regarding the overheating, where do I send the Arctic MX2/MX4 Compound to or an Aerosol of Compressed Air?. Every thought something is blocking the fan heat transfer fins? It tends to build up as a wall of fluff between the fan itself and the fins. The extra CPU cycles of macOS Sierra, might have just made something noticeable that wasn't with El Capitan.

El Capitan is pretty battery efficient and ran really cool (for me) when idle, to a point sleeping El Capitan wasn't much of an issue any more, but its mostly tethered at a desk.

Apple did seem to find a way to kill off redundant CPU Cycles (processes of Windows behind Windows not visible) in El Capitan. With macOS Sierra though, Apple seems to have decided it could find use for the redundant CPU Cycles with crap like Siri/Search.

I'm sitting on a macbook right now, in macOS Sierra, its as quiet as a lamb, I'm in Firefox 49.01 though and no, I've never even opened Siri.

Siri is removed from the Dock. I'm not completely anti-voice, quite surprised how good (and actually useful on Android) 'OK Google' was recently, but if you can touch type, its pretty pointless.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon