idiots with more money than sense...
I live in a rental. Owners over here are obliged to put those screaming, battery consuming bastards -the cheapest they can find of course- on the ceiling of every room and/or hallway.
First thing was removing the batteries from each and every one of them.
But otoh I do prohibit open fire in the house. (eg. candles)
Household appliances not in use are not connected to any power outlet, especially the ones without a physical on/off switch.
You are allowed to smoke, but ashtrays stay on the sink until the next morning instead of emptying them into the bin before going to sleep. Checking if the stove is turned off has become a habit.