Reply to post: Re: Call me old fashioned

My Nest smoke alarm was great … right up to the point it went nuts

gerdesj Silver badge
Holmes

Re: Call me old fashioned

But a smoke alarm (tested monthly) on each floor for when your in, and home insurance for when your out is more reliable that nest!

Precisely. Although (nearly) weekly is my schedule - check the print on your alarm and don't assume. I'm lucky in that I'm over six foot tall and can just reach the test button. Takes less than a minute of my time per week. Two smoke detectors, mains wired and battery backed - one each per floor, centrally.

Fire safety needn't be a big deal, nor cost a fortune. I have two dry water mist fire extinguishers (*) - one per floor - £88 total, should last about three years or so before needing recharge or renew. Fire blanket for the kitchen - £13. Escape ladder for upstairs out of window - £38.

Take the possibility seriously for a couple of hours thought (do a little risk assessment) and then a casual inspection every now and then. Perhaps buy a few things that will probably never be used, but will be really handy should the worst happen. Just do it.

How much is a Nest thingie again? I'm a nerd (and a IT consultant) and love gadgets but I'm also a fire safety bod for my company. At home I keep it low tech, comprehensive and cheap. Please do the same.

Cheers

Jon

(*) Dry water mist - pretty new idea, recommended by our local Fire Safety Officer from the Fire Brigade. Pressurized water in nitrogen - comes out atomized and not "wet". Works for nearly all fire types found in the home. Safe for eleccy fires, basically use where foam and CO2 are indicated.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019