Reply to post: Re: "two monitors plugged into each other, a USB mouse plugged in to an ethernet port"

User couldn't open documents or turn on PC, still asked for reference as IT expert

Kiwi Silver badge

Re: "two monitors plugged into each other, a USB mouse plugged in to an ethernet port"

"two monitors plugged into each other, a USB mouse plugged in to an ethernet port"

Can anyone explain how this could be physically achieved? I'm genuinely stumped

IME most VGA, DVI and HDMI leads have a plug on each end, most screens and computers have a socket. I can see how someone could accidentally loop them when connecting 2 devices especially when flustered, inexperienced, and not entirely sure of what they're doing. And reaching around behind the machine where it's usually rather dark and hard to get to (not everyone works in a private office with the machine in the middle of the room and easy to get to!)

As to the USB lead in network socket? Fits beautifully, not that I've ever done it before myself, honest! Not too hard to do when you're feeling behind a machine and find say the keyboard lead, and push the external HDD or other device lead into what might be a slot just below it. Easier still on machines that have 2 network ports, especially when you're not used to the idea.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019