Reply to post: Possible prosaic explanation - Re: The computer Tao

User couldn't open documents or turn on PC, still asked for reference as IT expert

keithpeter
Coat

Possible prosaic explanation - Re: The computer Tao

"There are people computers seem to obey and ones the hardware and software itself seems to hate. I call it "computer Tao" as I don't have a better name for that. You either have it or you don't."

Desktop clients: Part of this could be responsiveness of the system. I used to have to encourage and cajole teachers to use more IT in their teaching. I noticed a similar phenomena when doing staff training sessions. I arranged for the non-Tao staff who were a bit wary of computers to have the fastest and most responsive monster machines I could book, and a lot of the problems resolved themselves. I suspected that those of (us) who follow the Path may simply be able to judge when the UI needs a second or several to respond and wait. The non-Tao people would repeat click or repeatedly type and the type-ahead buffer would do the rest.

User Interfaces: My favourite is a choice made in one control at (say) the top of the screen alters the state of some tiny widget at (say) the bottom left of the screen in some subtle way. The recent versions of Anaconda (the Fedora graphical installation client) spring to mind.

Mind you recall that...

"The Tao that can be spoken of is not the eternal Tao; The Name that can be named is not the eternal Name."

Coat: mine is the one with the tao in the pocket

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019