Reply to post: So... you provided REAL data to a FREE service...

And! it! begins! Yahoo! sued! over! ultra-hack! of! 500m! accounts!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

So... you provided REAL data to a FREE service...

So now I'm part of a class action lawsuit (Yahoo! user in California) that may eventually get me $1.50-$2.50, while the lawyers make off with hundreds of millions.

Color me unimpressed for a multitude of reasons, but the primary one is:

- Yahoo! does not have my real birthday

- Yahoo! does not have my real phone number

- Yahoo! does not have my real physical address

If it's not a bank, government entity, or other organization with which I am doing legal or financial business, why on Earth would I give them real data?

So Yahoo! hack = No big deal for me. If they crack Google and get my g-mail password, no big deal for me.

If it's a free service, don't trust it to keep your data safe. Seems like common sense.

(I should clarify that I think Yahoo! screwed up and should face some form of punishment, but the idea that I provided data to a free service and now that data has been compromised just seems like par for the course. I don't think Yahoo!'s users need big payouts if their nude selfies got nicked. Don't store sensitive data on the intrawebs. True 20 years ago, true today...)

(And yes, I know that by providing Yahoo! with falsified data I committed some sort of crime, but I think the fact that it's criminal to keep your personal data out of the hands of such yahoos is even more criminal...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon