Reply to post:

Forgive me, father, for I have used an ad-blocker on news websites...

Kaltern

Quite simply,

If blocking ads kills a website, then their content is lost.

If the website in question required tons of tracking and advertising to survive... then it most likely isn't going to be missed.

El Reg uses advertising. I block it because it is (IMO) too obtrusive (it was a while back, I've not unblocked it for months). If it was a couple of ads tucked away in the corner, and not full screen on each side with massive click zones, I might consider unblocking. (I just checked - and no, they're still there. Sorry.)

Besides, I imagine El Reg doesn't just rely on dodgy ad networks, and hosts their own ads sold to companies directly?

Anyway, there is too much regurgitated trash on the web, and if half of it disappeared because of ad blocking, I really don't see that as a problem. I remember back in the old days of yore, when advertising consisted of a single banner at the top of the page. That was unobtrusive. Until someone realised that a GIF anim would work too. Then it all went downhill from there...

Maybe there should be a WWW Advertising Standard. Only x number of ads per page, with agreed restrictions on how they're presented and tracked,

Of course, I'm dreaming again...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019