Reply to post:

It's Friday – and that means one thing: Yup, Microsoft's TypeScript 2.0 is out

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

>>The thinking behind the open-source project, which is a superset of JavaScript, is that large, complex applications are easier to code and to maintain in a language which supports static typing, rather than the dynamic typing used by JavaScript.<<

I hear that a lot. But whenever I work on reasonably large systems that are based on strongly typed languages I find they're fragile and brittle, often with many fail routes and only a single success path for any function. The strongly typed nature doesn't seem to make them more robust, the fact something builds (and passes tests) often means very little.

I also notice that Javascript apps that are sensibly architected, with a promise based MVC framework at the front end and a straightforward set of restful javascript APIs providing the back end seem much more resilient to failure. They seldom crash completely, that's for sure.

So are there any studies or metrics that back up this assertion that strongly typed languages produce better apps, or is it just "common sense"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon