Reply to post: I too gave up on inkjets..

HP Inc's rinky-dink ink stink: Unofficial cartridges, official refills spurned by printer DRM

Unicornpiss
Meh

I too gave up on inkjets..

..about 4 years ago and got a color laser. (Canon) Of course it still has some built-in aggravation. Good luck getting it to print an envelope the way you want. I'm happy with the print quality and the overall reliability. And unlike the inkjet it replaced, it's ready to go after 10 seconds or so of warm up without cleaning or other fuss.

I don't print a ton so some of the toner carts (which have good longevity) are still the 'starter' carts that came with it. The printer won't refuse to print, but claims the remaining carts are "end of life." How does dry inorganic polymer powder in a sealed cartridge reach end of life? It's like the expiration dates on bottled water. (is it going to revert into H and O?) I'll be damned if I'm not going to eke every last grain of toner from the cartridges before I replace them. At least it's a little better than some other companies--it will give me dire warnings on the display but continue to print just fine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon