Reply to post: Re: @John... Very few commenters seem to know the facts of this case...

Swedish appeals court upholds arrest warrant for Julian Assange

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: @John... Very few commenters seem to know the facts of this case...

"Some people will not like this decision. But I am a lawyer. The experts have spoken. I think it is now out of due respect for the countries concerned to take a big swallow and accept that they are subject to criticism, and cannot act with impunity."

Nicely pulled out of context. Did you actually listen to the whole thing or just picked out the words that you liked and glued them together in the right order?

There is a simple fact here: the door is not locked for Saint Jules. He can take his coat, open the door and walk right out - something that is not possible in any definition of "detention". His problem is that he then has to face the consequences of his actions, and that's what this is all about. I have never bought the US story for a second, nor will I - there is just no way in Hell that any official would make the mistake of locking up this idiot, certainly not after he made it clear he's far better at harming himself than any US activity ever could. Unfortunately for Assange, that also means his book will never sell other than at bootsales and flea markets.

Assange has a simple choice: if he wants fame, he'll have to call the US embassy and ask them to send a car round, at that point he can play the hero and get the martyr fame he wants (which he'd like to have without having to go through the actual suffering in jail part, but that's not how that works). If he wants continued infamy, it doesn't matter where he is: stuck in the Embassy desperately trying to ride along on other people's efforts (who DO take risks) or standing in front of a Swedish court getting confirmed that he's so sad a fucker that he has to sleep with a girl whilst she is still asleep. Either way, he's irrelevant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon