Reply to post: Must be fun...

EU ends anonymity and rules open Wi-Fi hotspots need passwords

Anonymous Coward
Megaphone

Must be fun...

Being able to make up rules and tell people what they should do while you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Cynical? Yessir, but that's honestly my impression about these political 'geniuses'.

Why I say that? Because I can turn this around. When a machine interacts with a wifi hotspot it'll send out its MAC address (you know: you can limit wifi access based on that as well, works quite effectively). Therefor I can argue that the identity got revealed, in the form of a MAC address. Which is, by theoretical definition anyway, a unique identifier.

I know what you're thinking: that is not really an identification because I don't know who the person is. Welcome to the phenomenon of: "the letter of the law". They clearly said:

"it is necessary to require users to reveal their identity to be prevented from acting anonymously before obtaining the required password."

And the definition of identity is left out. So when looking this up on the Innernets (Oxford dictionary):

"Identity - The characteristics determining who or what a person or thing is.

Note: or thing? And as said: a MAC address is supposed to be unique, ergo, I have established the identity (of the machine aka the thing, which is still operated by the user), so they're free to use the open Wi-Fi.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon