Reply to post: So turn off mobile data / Internet

Google's become an obsessive stalker and you can't get a restraining order

Tim Seventh

So turn off mobile data / Internet

This is my technological mindset when I use anything online.

You are tracked, spied, stalked, and logged whenever you are online.

The fact is this. Things that are online Are.Not.Yours. The internet is not your computer. The internet not your device. The cloud is someone else computer. The webpage is not created by you. Google/Apple/Microsoft is not made by you.

SO you're choices are limited when you are online. There is zero way to know what is on that webpage before it loads them including key logger, spyware, virus, scripts, flash, image, video, etc. Other times you do want to know your location. In that case, you need to be online to sent data back and let google to track the coordinate to get your location.

There are ways to set a vpn, mask ip, remote login, set a different account, use tor, use private browsing, add no script, add ABP, use traffic monitor, BUT the easiest way to draw the line is still this. When you are online, you understand the risk of being tracked in exchange for services required online. When you are offline, you should expect the privacy of not be tracked.

If you can't use your smartphone offline, it means you don't have anything you need offline and you need more services online. That's your done deal for the risk involved. YMMV, but I have a few phones with one heavily required to be online while the other can do most work offline.

tl;dr Expect to be tracked online. Keep your privacy by staying offline, use online services only when required.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon