Reply to post: Trying to make ads less nasty / support sites

Ad flog Plus: Adblock Plus now an advertising network, takes cash to broker web banners

tiggity Silver badge

Trying to make ads less nasty / support sites

Why are people so worked up about this?

ABP lets you block "all" ads if you wish (where all means all matching to rules lists)

However, also allows you to choose an "allow acceptable ads" option - and this relates to those acceptable ads.

The idea of acceptable ads is that they will not be obtrusive (as it's intrusive ads people object to most) & will allow site to serve ads (whether they make any money off the visit is depending on whether they earn via ad loads or ad clicks but at least gives potential to earn unlike no ads) - essentially acceptable ads is an attempt at a compromise to stop sites / ad slingers accusations of "freeloading" (a useful micro payments system would help but never seems to happen)

Disclosure, I have no commercial relationship with ABP, I do use it on my phone browser Firefox (as installed way back when little choice on mobile browser ad defence add ins & ads on mobile are PITA for killing data use & jiggling screen around). I tried the acceptable ads option (but found I got too much that I regard as intrusive) so switched it to block all (I have not changed settings recently so it may have improved, or it may not). It does the job on phone with disable all set.

My main ad blocker on PC browsers is not ABP

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon