Reply to post: Re: Harrumpf

Ad flog Plus: Adblock Plus now an advertising network, takes cash to broker web banners

Steven Roper

Re: Harrumpf

"AB+ together with NoScript have kept me happy to date."

The bugbear with NoScript these days is the tendency for sites to fetch javascript from 50 different domains, all of which have to be enabled for anything to even display. Coming on to a new site with NoScript running goes something like this:

- Blank page or a message that says the site needs Javascript to work properly.

- NoScript->Options->list of domains 3 screens high appears.

- Scroll through list of domains to find maindomain.com and temporarily allow it.

- Nothing happens.

- NoScript->Options->list of domains is now 5 screens high because the bit of javascript you've allowed wants to fetch more javascript from another 20 domains.

- Get frustrated and go NoScript->Options->Temporarily allow all this page.

- STILL nothing happens because all that javascript you just allowed wants to fetch more javascript from even more domains to get anything to display.

- Give up and go elsewhere or just go NoScript->Options->Allow scripts globally (not recommended) to let the entire internet run javascript as the site wants.

I used to just walk away from sites that did this shit but since EVERY FUCKING SITE on the internet now seems to be doing it, my options come down to: put up with it or stop using the internet.

So now I just do all my internet and email on my Linux Mint box, and my Windows boxen don't see the internet at all any more. Since there's no real malware for Linux (and what little there is relies on social engineering to try to trick me into installing it rather than doing drive-by downloads) I can safely browse the web with javascript on and the browser set to clear history and cookies at end of session, and get my internet experience back.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon