Reply to post: Re: Black Bond, Female Bond? Why not a French/ American/ Chinese Bond...???

The next Bond – Basildon or Bass-Ass? YOU decide

45RPM Silver badge

Re: Black Bond, Female Bond? Why not a French/ American/ Chinese Bond...???

@Graham Marsden - Why not 'force the Bond character'? He's been a comic slimy perv (Moore), a potential family (Australian) man (Lazenby), a thug (Craig), by turns suave and bored (Connery), pointless (Dalton) and outclassed by his gadgets (Brosnan). All very different characters - and different from the character in the books too (educated, upper class). Changing the colour of his skin is a minor change by comparison, and if you're going to change the colour of his skin - why not change Bond's sex too?

As to changing nationality, why? The thing is that there are many secret agent films with American stars (Bourne and Hunt being the most obvious). France has Hubert Bonisseur de La Bath. I'm not familiar enough with spy films from other countries - but I feel sure that each must have its own spy adventurers. But there aren't many British black, asian or female spies - and, last time I checked, the British nationalities do seem to include quite a few women and non-whites. So why shouldn't our greatest fictional hero represent them too?

And yes, if you want him to be gay, I'm fine with that too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon