Reply to post: So many things have come true..

Star Trek's Enterprise turns 50 and still no sign of a warp drive. Sigh

Unicornpiss
Pint

So many things have come true..

So many things predicted by the most prescient science fiction are now commonplace:

The cell phone, the Internet, geostationary satellites, "smartphones" (the 'minisec' in Clarke's world), interactive computers that can be voice controlled and answer back. Virtual reality (thanks again Mr. Clarke) Just to name a few. (I'm grateful we don't have flying cars)

A lot more are on the verge of reality or almost possible: a space elevator, self-driving cars, and true artificial intelligence come to mind.

I would love to see mankind invent some means of travelling FTL and reach another star in my lifetime. (if it's even possible) It might not be easy with what we have now, but give it another 20-50 years and it too may be taken for granted. Did anyone think in 1960 that we'd all carry a constantly-connected supercomputer that can make phone calls too? And use them to hunt fictional 'creatures' for fun?

But of course no one will make the commitment outside of a few driven, visionary enthusiasts to spend money and effort on such 'nonsense'. Not with wars to be fought, petty political power grabs, people living in squalor in our own countries, and all the other mundane concerns of life that aren't being intelligently dealt with now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon