Reply to post: Re: we had a vote for Brexit

UK will be 'cut off' from 'full intelligence picture' after Brexit – Europol strategy man

Commswonk Silver badge

Re: we had a vote for Brexit

We had a 14:13 majority on a question of whether we should leave the EU, where there was an awful lot of distortions of the truth.

This is not a safe enough margin to be a mandate for the UK to leave the EU.

I do understand that logic, but the threshold for a "majority" cannot be set after the event. However, even if something other than a simple majority had been set, say (for the sake of argument) 55:45 to vote for "leave" for the result to count then a different set of problems could arise. Firstly, any ratio other than a simple 50:50 would more or less by definition be arbitrary, and in its way no more valid than 50:50. Secondly, had the result been 54.9:45.1, thus maintaining the status quo as EU members, we would have had a situation where we remained as members although there had been a very clear (simple) majority against it. Thirdly had the result been 55.1:44.9 then the remainers would have argued that the (arbitrary) threshold should have been 56:44.

I'm not sure which of the above three would be the worst; I suspect the second, with a (substantial?) majority of those who voted being forced to remain within the EU against their clearly expressed opinion.

It would all have been so much easier for everyone (the EU in particular) if our "partners" had been more receptive to the concerns of the UK electorate, but of course for that to have happened our own politicians would have had to been aware opf those concerns themselves. I hope they have learned from the experience; to rework a well known saying You can ignore all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019