Reply to post: Re: Does paperless mean more time?

NHS 'paperless roadmap': Fewer dead trees, more data control

Richard Jones 1

Re: Does paperless mean more time?

The alternative is the letter not coming through so you do not get the medicinal follow up without jumping through the hoops to get a secretary to send it out specially and you taking a copy to the practice to get what is required.

Doing it automatically via joined up electronics would be great if it cuts out the 2~5 months wait.

It would be nice if you did not have the papers sent to one satellite clinic and the patient to a different one so taxis have to drive across the country while you wait two hours.

No these are not fictional.

Throw in stopping consultants commiserating with patients who don't have inoperable fatal cancer on the basis of a scan they have not had because the notes apply to someone else anyway and you might get some progress.

And yes these are all true stories.

There are some success stories as well, e.g. digital scans being available when I saw surgeons in different locations who just brought up the images on the screen in front of them. If only that was universal.

Why do I have to run round with details of my history and tablet regime? Warning, after 70 plus years both are a bit long and my memory is a bit imperfect.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon