Reply to post: Re: Microsoft doesn't say if the update will fix the other issues-

Ice to see you! Windows 10 fix for freezing PCs finally flung at folks

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft doesn't say if the update will fix the other issues-

Outlook use is mandated at wotrk (on Windows) and I hate it - bloaty, slow, buggy search etc.

You may hate it, but in my experience it's the most solid lock-in that Microsoft has on people, and that's even after it has the horrid ribbon UI treatment. It's the prime reason people stick with the insanely expensive MS Office - Outlook.

The harsh reality is that end users want, even NEED that integration so anyone looking for an alternative supplier will have to come up with something that is at least offering the same integration, and I say that as someone who has successfully weaned himself and his companies off Microsoft.

What I find astonishing is that even after world + dog complains about it being slow, buggy (etc etc ad infinitum), there has been no company that has even attempted to develop an alternative that works better and is OS independent in a way other than being written in (bleagh) Java. Why? There is a need and only one expensive provider so there is clearly a market opportunity - or is Outlook so wrapped up in patents it cannot be done?

Fix the Outlook problem and you have broken the lock-in. Until then you might as well not bother IMHO as its integration fulfils a clear need (and no, Thunderbird + Lightning is clunky at best, although it may offer a good starting point as Mozilla is apparently keen to turn it into abandonware soon. Forget about KDE Kontakt).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon