Reply to post: Re: The EU Commission has sinister plans to control tax rates across the continent

Tim Cook: EU lied about Apple taxes. Watch out Ireland, this is a coup!

Commswonk

Re: The EU Commission has sinister plans to control tax rates across the continent

Well if it hasn't at the moment it soon will have; I suspect that everybody (except the large corporates) is getting heartily sick of the "now you see it; now you don't" methods of accounting that multinationals use to minimise their contributions to the wider societies in which they operate. The current approach is little short of pillage; grab what you can and disappear as fast as you can, or least make the money disappear so that you are still around to grab any more that happens to come along.

As the EU Commission has pointed out, this is not a simple matter of tax due on Irish sales as much as allowing other profits to pass through the accounts unchecked. I never thought I would ever raise a cheer for the EU but on this occasion I have made an exception.

Tim Cook might just find out that the old adage of "there's no such thing as bad publicity" is not universally true.

I hope...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon