Reply to post: Re: Indeed both pointless.

Windows 10 Anniversary on a Raspberry Pi: Another look at IoT Core

Chika

Re: Indeed both pointless.

Intel for IoT is pointless, unless Intel does new ARMs of its own.

Noises have been made, though ditching the XScale on their part was rather short sighted of them. We shall see what occurs next.

Microsoft anything for ARM is pointless. They stopped proper embedded NT and multi-platform NT support after NT 4.0. They killed Win CE and Win CE embedded after killing multi-platform.

Microsoft have always been a bit short sighted when it came to processors. Their insistence on maintaining the x86 side of things is one reason, IMHO, why things have gone the way they have. Consider the way that this problem was approached by Unix and Linux - I don't believe either would have been as successful if Microsoft had been a bit more flexible or had at least addressed processors like the ARM back when it was still being widely used in desktops.

Win 10 is a sick joke. The Pi and IoT both have alternates to Windows if you don't want Linux, though you'd be looking at some pretty niche OS other than Linux.

I think this article asked this one. And I agree here - this is an example of Microsoft trying to muscle their way into a market that is already adequately served by other systems more suited to them.

They want a presence here, just as they wanted a presence in the phone and tablet market, in the hope that people would say "hey look! It's Microsoft! Let's buy it!" The fact that it worked in their favour in the games market was less about their brand and more about other companies screwing themselves over, something that hasn't happened in the mobile market and something that has yet to happen in the IoT market.

This is Marketing, not useful platform.

And that, sad to say, describes Microsoft completely these days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019