Reply to post: Re: Bah!

Some Windows 10 Anniversary Update: SSD freeze

TVU Silver badge

Re: Bah!

"Windows 10 users have only themselves to blame. A sucky user interface welded to an unfinished engine designed primarily to move the user to a cloud-subscription-except-you-buy-the-hardware model rather than be a useful progression from what he/she had before. The first vendor to start actually selling Linux Mint web-books and webtowers (instead of talking big about "coming plans") will clean up like it was 1995."

From the figures I've seen, there have been statistically significant rises in the use of OS X, Linux and Chrome OS (a heavily amended form of Gentoo Linux) machines this past year coincident with the introduction of Windows 10 and I expect that trend to continue if Windows 10 continues to be so error prone. Despite the complaining about the interface, I didn't see anything similar happening with the introduction of Windows 8 perhaps because Win 8 didn't bork your machine or get into an endless reboot cycle, etc. At least Windows 8 and 8.1 could easily be tamed with the installation of a third party menu system.

This is only anecdotal but it looks like many people are buying new Apple iMacs, Apple Macbooks and Chromebooks and they are dual booting their favourite Windows 7 with a flavour of Linux. Under the current circumstances, I suspect that PC and laptop sellers that sell their machines with easy to use Linux variants might do well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon