Reply to post: Re: Where are all the MS apologists?

Some Windows 10 Anniversary Update: SSD freeze

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Where are all the MS apologists?

Personally, I'm massively impressed with the number of authorative system architects here who have the power and clout to decide, organisationally wide, to swap windows for Linux. I mean, aside from the radical change in infrastructure, the retraining of all your support staff, the ditching and replacing of all non-COTS stuff that all organisations have in their closers, the end-user training and engagement alone must've been a mighty, might undertaking. The level of trust these massive companies have in the vision of one man waving a Linux banner is quite remarkable; I've never seen a board be ready to take such progressive risks

...or are all the Linux fans all tiddly IT manager in little companies running a dozen clients or so? Or perhaps they just use Linux at home because they don't need or require any standard software for whatever it is they do with their PCs? Not gamers...not entertainment...not anything you might actually want to do...

Still, if you like having to write your own drivers, or battling with format incompatibilities, or leaning pages of archaic syntax left over from the seventies, then yeah, Linux is your weapon of choice.

Personally, I have to admit that in my company no one has the power to switch to Linux and I shudder at the thought of attempting all the training and troubleshooting that would inevitably follow such a switch.

yeah, win 10 isn't perfect, but then no OS is. And, if you know what you're doing, a lot of the issues can be mitigated or avoided.

Having rolled out win10 to over 7000 users now (XenDesktop, thin clients, direct access etc. etc.) including a BYOD strategy for homeworkers, I can confidently say that it does work. Mostly.

The pain of win 10 management and the learning curve involved in a real ICT environment pales in comparison to choosing a flavour of Linux to replace it with and that's just a real-world thing I'm afraid.

[awaiting downvotes]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon