Reply to post: Re: Ironic...@45RPM

Brexit Britain: HP Sauce vs BBC.co.uk – choices that defined voters

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Ironic...@45RPM

"a desire to escape from centralized control and planning and restore some freedoms"

That's certainly the motivating factor for some of the leave vote, certainly the people I know who voted leave said this was their reason for doing so. Unfortunately, the leave box on the ballot paper was also shared with the people who wanted to get rid of EU immigrants, no matter the cost. There were probably a fair few who only voted leave because they wanted to stick one over on David Cameron.

As far as I know, no-one has yet come up with any figures to quantify how many stand in each camp, but the general tone of the campaigning and the aftermath seems to be that the "Immigrants out" lot are a rather significant chunk of the total. The brexit process will therefore have to take their view into account, including the inevitable protectionism that goes with it.

If only the ballot paper had been written like this:

Should we remain in the EU or leave?

[] Remain - The EU is great!

[] Remain - The EU isn't great, but we'd be worse off outside it.

[] Remain - The EU is crap, but Farage is a wanker.

[] Leave - The EU is anti-democratic and being part of it is no longer in our national interest.

[] Leave - I hate foreigners - kick 'em out.

[] Leave - Oi Cameron, you're a twat!

Then we would have been in a much better position for figuring out what to do next.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon