Reply to post: Re: Won't you think of the children?

Linux security backfires: Flaw lets hackers inject malware into downloads, disrupt Tor users, etc

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Won't you think of the children?

I will point out that there are some legitimate reasons why you see more foreign-born people in these positions. For one, American trained BS STEM graduates can often get high salaries. Depending on the field those figures can exceed $100,000/yr. For a lot of fields, the salary increase due to a MS or PhD degree is not substantial enough to convince graduates to go back to college for several more years. Furthermore, the undergraduate STEM students we produce in the US are much better trained than the international graduate students that we receive. This means that internationally educated graduates have a greater incentive to come to a US institution for further study, which puts them in a better position to be part of work like this after graduation.

There's also the point that, if the work is done at a university, then chances are most of the people working on it are graduate students, who as mentioned above are more likely to be of international background. It's also a lot easier for an international student to get an education in the US, than it is to find a job here afterwards.

While I'm speaking from a US perspective, I would expect the same holds true for other countries with a comparable academic tradition, like the UK.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon