Reply to post: Re: Re:Worse. Airline. I. Have. Ever. Flown. With.

Power cut crashes Delta's worldwide flight update systems

James O'Shea

Re: Re:Worse. Airline. I. Have. Ever. Flown. With.

I'll see your 'Delta' and raise you BWIA: Britain's Worst Investment Abroad. Also known as Better Wait In Airport. BOAC was Better On A Camel. I remember one flight from Kingston, Jamaica, to Miami on BWIA which took off five hours late and then got later. Something about having to take the long way around Cuba 'cause someone in Trinidad, where BWIA was based, had pissed off the Cubans. Another flight, from Kingston to London, on British Airways not long after it ceased being BOAC, had to divert to Bermuda 'cause someone didn't quite close the cap on one of the wing fuel tanks and we were leaking kerosene over the Atlantic. Yes. Really. That year a lot of British Airways staff went on strike, including engineering support crew, and several aircraft, including the one we flew in on and the one we were supposed to fly back on, had 'cracks' in the wings. Apparently big ones, which could be fixed, except that the guys who were supposed to fix 'em were on strike. So British Airways arranged that everyone on our flight was to fly back to relatively calm and peaceful Jamaica on Air Jamaica... except that Air Jamaica didn't have enough aircraft which could fly the Atlantic Kingston-London, and the one and only one they did have was busy on Air Jamaica's regular service, so the return flight was made with a stop in the truly wonderful vacation spot of Gander, Newfoundland. I haven't flown British Airways since... It'll be 40 years, come next year. I have flown on BWIA. They just were always late, they didn't actively risk your life flying them. They and Air Jamaica have combined into Caribbean Airlines. They're still always late.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon