Reply to post: Re: Why is IPv6 faster?

IPv6 now faster than IPv4 when visiting 20% of top websites – and just as fast for the rest

bombastic bob Silver badge

Re: Why is IPv6 faster?

"Who still uses old connectivity such as RS485 / RS232, X21, X25, Arcnet, Token Ring, IPX, etc. etc."

RS232 and 485 are common with test equipment, as well as devices that have no ethernet. It's also common to have a serial port login for an embedded device so you can flash it with custom firmware (typical for GPL compliance), and of course things that have NO ethernet on them (like remote data collection devices). NOT being on the intarwebs or cellular networks is a form of security (so you'll see dial-up phone modems being used for data transfer with remote data collection devices).

So: Even though you don't see a serial port on your latest PC, it doesn't mean they're not still being used... particularly by people working with microcontrollers.

"The world moved on, embrace the change."

Usually when I hear that, it sounds arrogant, like people who are Win-10-nic fans telling me I have to "embrace the change" or be pejoratively labeled a stone-age Neanderthal for NOT embracing it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon