Reply to post: Re: Still

Microsoft adds useful feature to PowerPoint. Seriously

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Still

The tool you need to limit the words used in a presentation is to not have a tool operating the keyboard+mouse when assembling the content.

I find actually having something to say usually the most important tool :). I start with structuring what I want to convey, and strip it to its bare minimum - presentations are in my opinion not tools that should go beyond 15 minutes, max 30 (I tend to reserve at least 15 minutes for discussion). If it involves important information I tend to distribute a document after the presentation with detail (never before) or add a URL with more info. It's a good exercise to work to max 15 minutes (even if it's longer) because it forces you to lose anything that is non-essential.

Very important is that YOU present - not the slides. Slides should augment or support the story you tell, not distract or tell the story for you. .

As for software, Powerpoint has gotten far too complicated. You can waste hours on how a presentation LOOKS instead of focusing on what it actually SAYS, and that's not productive. It's one of the reason I prefer Apple's Keynote: a presentation in there pretty much looks OK out of the box, and by default it's set up in a way that makes it hard work cramming too much on a slide. It's simple by default, and that's how it should be.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon