Reply to post: Re: When the business mandates Agile but still thinks Waterfall

Why Agile is like flossing and regular sex

Bury the Hammer

Re: When the business mandates Agile but still thinks Waterfall

I hate to break it to you, but there's nothing really that hip or trendy about Agile. It's like Coldplay. It might well be more recent than some other things, but it was interesting and new quite some time ago.

I've seen Agile done extremely well (place where I currently work) and it done extremely badly. Often it depends on management. Gantt charts, IMO, have no place in an agile methodology - the entire thing is focused on the short term and emphasises that there are vast uncertainties in the long term, so you can shove your precise long term planning out the window.

That's part of the problem, too, though. It's very good at dealing with the short term. It offers no framework for the long term. If your team and management can plan for the long term in agile without a framework, you're golden. Otherwise you can find yourself in a world of pain.

Also, wrt the original post, if your standups are over 10 minutes long, you're doing it wrong. Our standups have 10 or 15 people in and they're often only about 5 minutes. It's a status update. Say your piece, don't get into a discussion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon