Reply to post: "The supported lifetime of the device" is already over, but I am upgrading anyway.

Free Windows 10 upgrade: Time is running out – should you do it?

dakra

"The supported lifetime of the device" is already over, but I am upgrading anyway.

According to Microsoft and HP, my quad core i7 8GB full HD Nvidia+1GB laptop is already out of support for WindoX. The computer is from before 2013 and so was not tested for compatibility. (It is from 2009) New equipment is recommended. However, when I ran the preupgrade compatibility check, it only complained about an old version of a partition manager program, which I uninstalled. Device Manager for both Windoze7 and WindoX show an error flag only for the IntelTurboBoost Driver still dated from 2009.

Under WindoX, everything else works, even PDF Redirect, MS Office XP, and MSW Logo from 2002, except for my old DOS 16 bit applications, which no Windows x64 version can run on its own, I was very surprised that it did not overlay the Grub2 bootmanager and its settings for linux/Windows dual boot.

WindoX takes 37% more memory than Windoze7 doing nothing once stabilized after boot (2.6 vs 1.9 GB). If I had less memory, that would be a show stopper.

I will keep WindoX for some of the reasons given in previous comments, and also because (1) It supports my Bluetooth headset as both stereo headphones and as a phone headset with its various control buttons. and (2) It boots faster, only 50% longer than linux to the login prompt. I really only run Windows a few times a year, but I take quicker boot as an indication of more efficient performance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon