Reply to post:

Free Windows 10 upgrade: Time is running out – should you do it?

bombastic bob Silver badge

"All new CPUs will ONLY run Win 10."

Actually, not *entirely* true, but there is NO move by Micro-shaft to support newer architectures with older OSs. THAT being said... Micro-shaft appears to NO LONGER BE INTERESTED in other businesses that have (in the past) derived THEIR success from the success of Micro-shaft, and Micro-shaft continues to proceed over the lemming-cliff at full speed, cracking whips behind the stampeding mass in order to speed it up.

If I were Intel and AMD, _I_ would invest in making LINUX the next major OS that people WANT to get in order to run the APPLICATIONS that they want. This would mean a LOT of marketing effort in getting software vendors on board, from games to accounting. All of those applications that run ONLY ON WINDOWS will need to be PORTED.

Remember how Windows 3.0 changed the rules for MS-DOS applications, and EVERYBODY scrambled to "get on board" ? Well... how about a SIMILAR scramble for Linux!!!

THAT is what we need, a mass migration AWAY from Micro-shaft, who can NO LONGER BE TRUSTED to bring success to anyone ELSE... or themselves, for that matter.

Oh, and I'm sure Linux and the BSDs will support the new CPU architecture. Just not Micro-shaft, with any OLDER operating system than Win-10-nic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon