Reply to post: Re: havent read the above, but

Free Windows 10 upgrade: Time is running out – should you do it?

Updraft102

Re: havent read the above, but

"stay with 7 until the middle of 2020, maybe then 10 or whatever it has morphed into wont be quite as shit."

That was my hope at first, but as the year wore on, my hope that this would ever happen evaporated, and I began the transition to Linux Mint in a dual boot setup. Mint is great-- I use it most of the time now, seldom needing Windows for anything, and I am finding that pretty much all of my little one-off special purpose Windows programs work perfectly under WINE.

I've got more than three years to complete the transition, and I can either bet on 10 getting much better or that Linux Mint or another distro will at least remain as good as it is now. With MS doing things like locking down Cortana to make sure people don't use anything but Bing, I'm sure not going to bet on 10 ever becoming better than the mess it is now... and all Linux needs to do is to not get worse. Even if it remains the same as it is now, Linux is still the winner of that comparison-- and unlike 10, Linux is still getting better, year by year... glacially, but still heading in the right direction, for the most part (systemd may be an exception, but there are far more in Windows).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon