Reply to post: Re: I've said it before

Microsoft ordered to fix 'excessively intrusive, insecure' Windows 10

Kiwi

Re: I've said it before

Though rare, I believe I have actually seen the non-working wifi beasty in Linux.

In most laptops, wireless cards are cheap (like less than a cup of coffee if you go 2nd hand) and take less time than needed to drink the coffee to swap out. And if you get pretty much any broadcom or.. can't remember the other names atm but any generic or name brand or cheap chinese/korean/wherever card will be picked up by a Linux OS in a matter of microseconds without the need to install additional drivers. At a pinch you could go out and find a cheap USB dongle (if your laptop has enough ports, few do!) and plug that in, and have most modern Linux distros find it and have it working (save for your credentials) before your brain even registers that you've fully plugged it in.

I'm a fussy fat lazy slob, and that's why I love Linux. I don't have to get off my arse and do anything for or to it, it (usually) just works. Yes, I did manage to screw up my video drivers today pissing around with something I didn't quite understand, but in those cases Linux gives you various recovery options that far surpass the no-longer-available "safe boot"...

Grab a couple of pounds, go down t' high street, grab yourself a nice new dongle, and start enjoying life :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon