Reply to post: Re: Ahem. Actual real user here....

Free Windows 10 upgrade: Time is running out – should you do it?

Brian Miller

Re: Ahem. Actual real user here....

Gee, I'm a real user, too. Fact is, I'm also a developer. And I'm fluent with multiple OSes, blah blah bloody well blah.

A couple of years ago I bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1. Great hardware, frustrating OS. It made me use Linux as my main box. Then the "upgrade" came along. At that time, I had quite a bit on the laptop, so I chose the "upgrade" option. And the GUI randomly locked up! So I finally realized what a problem it was, backed stuff up, and did a full reset on the machine to its factory install. Upgrade. GUI lockup with the newest incarnation of the BSOD. Then I reset the machine again, killed off all of the factory crapware, and tried the upgrade again. BSOD. Then I tried a full reinstall from a USB stick. What does Windows 10 immediately want? A driver for something. Unknown, unnamed, God almighty only knows what, and it won't continue until it gets its driver. So then I burned a DVD and installed from that. But of course I had to remove ALL of the partitions first, because Windows can't handle its own 64-bit GPT partitions.

And now it's operating, but I haven't yet installed my applications and really begun to use it.

Honestly, I've never experienced anything like that with any *nix OS. Ever. Only Windows. If Windows 10 GUI locks up on me, even with a completely clean install, I'm loading Linux on it and taking back my machine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon