Reply to post: Don't know how to configure a Data Centre

BT internet outage was our fault, says Equinix

CanadianMacFan

Don't know how to configure a Data Centre

Back when I was a system administrator for a government department looking after the computers for the web sites losing a UPS in the data centre would have been no big deal. Each chassis holding our blade servers held four power supplies. Two power supplies were connected to one power distribution unit (PDU) and the other two power supplies were connected to a different PDU. The PDUs were cabinet models and each PDU was connected to a separate UPS. The whole data centre had a diesel generator for a backup too. So losing a UPS, or a PDU, would have had no impact on my servers since they still would have gotten the electricity through the other path. I also had redundant network and SAN switches. I made sure that every server had at least two instances running so that one could be brought down for service without impacting the users. The only issue that I ever had with those IBM blades was the SCSI hard drives that started to fail after about three years (not bad in a server environment) which were replaced with the SAN. All running Linux of course.

As an aside we got stuck with a rack of the first generation of the HP blades and they were horrible. They ran so hot special cooling had to be installed in the data centre for them and we kept on have RAM failures. I was thankful that I had as little to do with them as possible.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon