Reply to post: Re: Sounds like nonsense to me

Drone bloke cuffed after gizmo stops firemen tackling forest inferno

inmypjs Silver badge

Re: Sounds like nonsense to me

Yes. despite a zillion down votes it mostly is.

If you took for example an RC model car and a real car on a football pitch how easy would it be to hit the RC car even if you were trying?

It isn't 1 football pitch is it hundreds and there is an extra dimension. I would lay odds that a helicopter pilot couldn't hit a drone (that didn't want to be hit) if he tried.

Then if by some minor miracle there was a collision there is nowhere on a helicopter a lightweight drone hit would cause fall out of the sky type damage.

The risks are microscopic. A pilot is more likely to be killed driving to the airfield than by a drone strike and much more likely to be killed by helicopter mechanical failure.

That doesn't mean the risk should have to be taken, drone flight should be restricted in these circumstances, especially as a large number of drones would disproportionately increase the risk.

As the op said the claim we had to stop fighting the fire because of this drone is nonsense - about as nonsense as claiming they had to stop because the pilot was too scared to drive to the airfield.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon