Reply to post: Re: "run MS Office"

Windows 10 a failure by Microsoft's own metric – it won't hit one billion devices by mid-2018

Updraft102

Re: "run MS Office"

Or put Windows 8 on it and do the various modifications to make it look and work like Windows 7... Classic Shell, that kind of thing. I've never used Win 8 personally, but some of the other "never 10" guys I talk to on other sites (who also like Windows 7) say that 8 modified is as good or better than 7. 8.1 is good till 2023!

It might also be a good time to start exploring Linux. While I will offer no prediction of any year really being the year of the Linux desktop (it's been called a million times and never happened), Linux has some really good distros now, like Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, and they keep getting better while Windows keeps getting worse.

This growing disgust with MS has gotten a lot of previously happy Windows customers interested in Linux, and I have been one of the flood of newbies on the Linux forums lately. I am really impressed with Mint; I am using it now, and while I do have my Windows 7 available in dual boot form, I seldom boot it anymore, and I've only been using Linux for a couple of weeks in earnest. I had dabbled with Kubuntu and Mint KDE on a "test" PC before, but I thought to really get to know Linux1, I had to put it on my main PC, and it was the right move.

WINE may also be an option; I have heard some versions of Office run well in it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon