Reply to post: Re: WINE or Other

Win 10 Anniversary: 'We're beginning to check in final code' says Microsoft

Roland6 Silver badge

Re: WINE or Other

Re: Matlab and Mathematica

Given these are available in both Windows and Linux versions, I assume you are looking at whether you can transfer your licences that were attached to a native Windows install, to a native Linux install.

My understanding is if you are unable to do this then your best bet is to run these in a VM as then (with the right VM player) you can allocate them multiple CPU's, my understanding is that Wine is limited to a single CPU which means the performance of these applications can suffer...

This would seem to only leave the PCB design program, which if there is no Linux native version, I suspect may also benefit from running in a multi-CPU VM.

A year ago I purchased on ebay a dual Xeon (quad core) workstation system for a couple of hundred GBP, this with 32GB of memory makes an ideal platform for running multiple VM's which I suspect you will find yourself having to do.

A slightly less performant platform, but a portable one, is the Dell XPS-18 mobile AiO/tablet with Intel i7. However this was limited to 8GB of RAM and a relatively small SSD and Dell for reasons best known to themselves no longer sell this 18-inch tablet...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon