Reply to post: Re: Wayland Re: Flocke Kroes AC Although the burden of proof....

Here's how police arrested Lauri Love – and what happened next

Matt Bryant Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Wayland Re: Flocke Kroes AC Although the burden of proof....

"You could be framed by someone sending you encrypted emails...." Bit of a stretch. Ignoring the fact you would need my email address first, let's say someone sends me an encrypted email that manages to get past my spam filters. There are two things that need to happen for your scheme to succeed and for myself to be charged by the coppers - firstly, I have to read the email and leave evidence I did so; secondly, the coppers have to be pointed in my direction.

In your scenario, the first thing that happens is I see an email from an unknown and probably unverifiable source - instant deletion, unread. Email server records that I deleted the email without having read the contents. At which point the coppers can only say I received an email, I can prove I never read nor stored its contents. There are no traces of any further communication between myself and the source of the encrypted email. Further investigation will show no social links between yourself and I, so there is no grounds for continued investigation, and I walk.

Now consider how are you going to send the coppers my way? Well, the best way to do that would be to commit a crime, make sure that crime comes to the attention of the authorities, and somehow link it to the email address or system you sent the encrypted email from. At this point, you are already linked to the crime, not me, so if I can show I have not read nor stored the encrypted message the spotlight is back on you! Better be careful how you play that game, the prisons are full of hackers that thought they'd never get caught.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon