Reply to post: Re: One near miss and a not miss within a couple months?

Man killed in gruesome Tesla autopilot crash was saved by his car's software weeks earlier

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: One near miss and a not miss within a couple months?

The truck driver claims he heard audio from Harry Potter (witnesses who arrived after say they didn't hear this) but police did report that a portable DVD player was found in the car's wreckage.

If there's a Harry Potter DVD in the player then I think the truck driver's account is pretty solid, and substantially all of the blame must be placed on the moron driver for thinking "autopilot = autonomous driving". I'd put the rest of the blame on Tesla for calling that feature "autopilot" when it is nothing of the sort (yeah I'm sure they caution people against treating it that way, but they are hardly the only car with such a feature but they are the only ones using a name that implies it can do the driving for you)

The truck driver's driving record isn't very good (neither is the Tesla driver's) so it is possible he did something wrong too, but that's why the car's driver needed to pay attention. If an accident resulted every time I made a driving mistake (pulling out in front of someone I didn't see, that sort of thing) I'd have been in a thousand at-fault accidents in my life instead of just one, as would just about anyone else if they are honest with themselves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon