Reply to post: Can it cope with farmers?

Man killed in gruesome Tesla autopilot crash was saved by his car's software weeks earlier

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Can it cope with farmers?

I've had a close shave on a motorbike when I met two muck spreaders on an A-road at night, the lights, number plate, reflectors and back of the trailor were covered in black matter so the only warning I had was the oncoming car light lights (seen under the trailer as it crested a slight rise) blinked out as they went behind the trailer wheels.

My brain could not assimilate the information so I braked while trying to process, then I saw the back the trailer far too close to do anything other than break heavily, almost losing control.

Nothing is fool proof, we should not assume the other road users are predictable, sensible or observe the law, accidents will happen but as Schultz pointed out there is a chance for the other users to learn from this driver/car accident and like in aircraft incidents it should lead to safer systems.

If the bloke just drove into the side of truck without the Tesla we'd not even hear about him, nothing would be learned I expect. Commiserations to his family and may his tragic passing save many others.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon