Reply to post: Re: re: 1.8% over the line is not enough for the biggest change to this country in generations.

Parliament takes axe to 2nd EU referendum petition

Can't think of anything witty...

Re: re: 1.8% over the line is not enough for the biggest change to this country in generations.

"ah, but would you say the same if it was YOUR 1.8% over the line?"

Actually, yes i would.

Think of it this way. We are in a situation (in Europe) and some people want to change that. It is therefore up to them to build a convincing case to make that change which would/will be a big change if/when it happens. If they are unable to build that case and take the clear majority of people along with them, then they have failed and it doesn't justify the change.

If things are terrible, then it should be easy to get enough people to agree and vote for a change. But if in doubt, i think that it's better to maintain the status quo. Sure, the status quo may deteriorate and we end up in a worse place then we want to be, but then you look at the question again.

basically, you shouldn't need a mandate to keep things the same, but you should to change them.

so if we had voted 52 Remain and 48 leave, i think that shows us that it's pretty close and not enough people want a change to justify it.

If however, we were not in the EU (crikey, imagine that...) and we had a referendum to join, we would also need a 60:40 majority to make that change. If we were in economic turmoil and all thought that joining would help fix that, then we would presumably be prepared to take the risk.

the important point here is about making a change to the status quo and that would apply equally if we were voting to leave or to join.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019