Reply to post: This wasn't me

Fly to Africa. Survive helicopter death flight to oil rig. Do no work for three weeks. Repeat

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

This wasn't me

But on a project I was involved with in Canada there were a lot of servers that needed to go from the US to Canada. Fortunately a couple years before 9/11. For whatever reason they didn't want to deal with customs, so they had one of the consultants drive them across in a truck, in multiple trips. The consultant happened to be Indian, not a US or Canadian citizen.

So the first time he went across he got some busybody border guy who gave him a lot of grief, but somehow through a combination of fast talking and getting someone on the phone who could do the same, he got permission to go through after several hours of hassle for both the border guy and him. The main reason it worked was because that first load was just racks, not the millions of dollars worth of servers, storage, etc. that would be coming in subsequent trips. For the remaining trips he stopped short and eyeballed where the border guy he'd dealt with before was and went into his line. Each time the guy saw him, grimaced, and just waved him through without checking!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon