Reply to post: Re: Moderator comment

Man dies after UK police Taser shooting

Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Moderator comment

People are remarkably robust in some ways, in that to stop someone immediately from causing harm, the level of force required to instantly disable a person comes remarkably close to lethal.

A blow to the head sufficient to render someone immediately unconscious can easily kill that person, an electrical discharge sufficient to immobilize can trigger significant electrical conduction patterns that can be lethal up to three days after being tasered, the fact is, tear gas/pepper spray can cause a person's airway to literally blister closed.

Anything sufficient to immediately stop someone can kill, it's just that simple.

Star Trek's phaser set to stun is a myth.

For me, a heat stroke caused modest cardiac damage, sufficient to send an ECG machine alerting to "digitalis effect" in the absence of digoxin. I also throw periodic PVC's sufficient at times to toy with V-tach. A taser used against me would be likely a lethal experience. Add in subsequent cardiac remodeling, secondary to hyperthyroidism induced hypertension that resulted in moderate left ventricular hypertrophy, yeah, it'd be a one time experience. Fortunately, the hyperthyroidism is being successfully treated and that remodeling will recede over time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon