Reply to post:

In obesity fight, UK’s heavy-handed soda tax beats US' watered-down warning

d3vy

"Sounds more like the gubbermint can't squeeze existing taxes any further"

Its all well and good until you consider the bigger costs (Only really applies to the UK)

Google "Jumbulance".

Google "BIG JOHN TOILET SEAT" - doesn't go with my argument, but.. holy fuck, look at that size of that!

In a country where healthcare is funded by the public and is free at the point of delivery *we* fund the purchasing of these things.

The fire service have to cut people from their homes and hoist them on a crane into the waiting ambulance... *we* pay for this.

I would never advocate charging people for healthcare and I am perfectly happy with my tax payments being used for this, BUT if we can reduce the number of people letting themselves get it into this state whilst collecting a bit extra at the same time, that cant be a bad thing can it?

Regardless of metabolism body weight is a function of calorie intake. Encouraging people who excessively consume foods which we know will make them fat faster to consume less is an obvious way to reduce the burden on the public services that we ALL rely on.

Its not like being fat creeps up on you, to get to 20st you first have to get to 15/16/17...

There are warning signs that you are getting fat they start with being "A little podgy" pass straight through "I cant see my gentiles anymore" and end with "Well I cant get out of bed, might as well order a takeaway"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon