Reply to post: Re: Sarcasm

Brexit threatens Cornish pasty's racial purity

Bloakey1

Re: Sarcasm

<snip>

"I seem to recall that Romania was one of the countries implicated in the horse-meat scandal back in 2013. I can see the marketing slogan already: "Fred Ceaucescu's Genuine Cornish Pasties -- First Past The Post!""

Romania used to sell a lot of it's excess equine meat to Italy and countries that eat horse. The EU brought out a law banning the import of live horses in an attempt to stop the spread of Equine Infectious Anaemia, known in argot as Swamp Fever. Then Romanians started to export meat only and not live animals so that they could get round this. So from having an identifiable products fo a horsy mien, they went to flogging a product of a meaty mean that could be made to look like anything if dressed right.

A lot of this meat was exported to the Spanghero meat processing plant in Castelnaudary [1] in France where it was treated and sold on to the UK for use in processed meals.

There was also an issue with the law regarding horses on roads changing there and so a lot of horses and donkeys became obsolete and an unnecessary burden over night because they could not use the roads.

Now to come back on topic a bit. Castelnaudary is the home of Cassoulet, indeed it is the Father, Cassoulet from Carcasonne is the Son and Cassoulet from Toulouse is the Holy Ghost. Cassoulet that ambrosia of the Gods is protected I believe but I still knok it up in my kitchen in the hills of a Southern European country.

1. I did my Basic training in the Foreign Legion here and I can still remember with fear and trepidation the 15 kilometer runs along the Canal du Midi, you could see where you were going and it really messed with the psyche.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon