Reply to post: Fundimental Lack of Understanding

England just not windy enough for wind farms, admits renewables boss

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Fundimental Lack of Understanding

This as with so many pieces on Renewables is based on people who dont fully understand the market jumping in. To function economically, efferently and provide a country with energy security there needs to be a mix of power sources, as a result there is no "correct" solution for power generation. Unfortunately the people who are prepared to enter into a rational discussion about it are few and far between outside.

Wind is not the solution, but it is also not not the solution, it is a part of it. When sites appropriately wind is an excellent source of power - the problem with the industry is the seemingly random set of subsidies and planning regs that have been thrown at it over the years. I have installed wind turbines that have generated significant income, and would have generated income without ROCs/FITS. And installed others that were totally insane, yet met equally insane planning requirements which wanted renewable generation on site, regardless of whether there was an exploitable resource (schools were obsessed with this shit).

That said - I agree with the general argument, the good sites went between 2005-2010. Offshore wind, makes a bit of sense in a few places, but the concept is centred on supporting the declining off shore service industry in my opinion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon