Reply to post:

Why Oracle will win its Java copyright case – and why you'll be glad when it does

Tim Almond

As a software developer and project manager, something that you and John Gruber aren't, let me explain why we're cheering Google: Because Oracle's case is ridiculous. Pretty much no-one cares about protecting the headers on their public interfaces. It's of almost no value. On the flip side, being able to reimplement an interface is healthy for the market in software. It means that if I buy a component from a company and they don't want to change it, or go out of business, I can get someone else to rewrite it without changing everything making the calls.

And really, most people would be glad for this to happen. Your language/tool/standard gets used, it gives your language/tool/standard more community and then, more value. You've got Java developers on phones, well, it might make sense to run Java on your servers. And the natural fit there is Oracle as a DB. And maybe, we'll hire Oracle to do the work. That's how the modern world of software tools works. Unfortunately, Oracle are still dinosaurs that think you can make money licensing a language, despite the fact that there's dozens of free ones out there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019