Reply to post: Its an idea that's never really been practical

Smartwatches: I hate to say ‘I told you so’. But I told you so.

martinusher Silver badge

Its an idea that's never really been practical

My first smartwatch was a cheap Timex Ironman -- it was cheap because it didn't sell particularly well. I didn't need a watch but I thought a USB interface and programming environment for a watch was neat. I made a toy application for it -- a chore since it was a Z80 with virtually no usable RAM -- and left it at that. Its still a good watch, though.

My second smartwatch was a Google watch type device, ordered from China for $28. It does all the basic stuff - sends and receives texts, voice via Bluetooth, sleep tracker -- and it even tells the time. I got it to amuse myself since the Apple Watch had just come out and we had these early adopters willing to drop $600 or so on one. I don't use mine.

The future of computing isn't devices. Things like Amazon's Echo are pointing the way -- instead of a 'thing' its a 'presence' -- there but at the same time not there, ready to provide information and do stuff but otherwise not some kind of fashion accessory. I need a phone when I'm out and about but I don't really need the phone as much as the connectivity.....the phone's just the way I carry the digital world around with me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon